February 29, 2012

Ginger beef and familiar flavors

Been trying to re-create mom's recipes by memory for about a year now and so far so good, but it's such a pain remembering some dishes from way back so when I was flipping through this old chinese cookbook that we had, I had to stop and stare at the page with the Ginger Beef recipe. The photo was very familiar, it reminded me of mom's chinese flank steak dish. Without hesitating, I decided to include it in our menu for the week, went grocery shopping and started cooking. When I had my first bite, I couldn't believe that it was the same familiar flavors i've grown up with so I got my brother to try it right away and we both found ourselves excited over this dish and reminiscing the countless times we had this before. Turns out it is the same dish. 

I thought I'd share this renewed discovery with you. 

Ginger Beef

Flank steak
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp rice wine
2 T oil
6-8 slices of ginger

Sauce
1/2 cup beef stock
1/2 tsp brown sugar
salt 
cornstarch

Slice steak into strips and mix with soy sauce, cornstarch, sugar and rice wine. Set aside.

Heat the pan with oil. When the pan start to lightly smoke add the ginger and fry for about 1/2 minute. 

Add the beef and stir-fry for about a minute or until almost done then push the beef to the side of the pan. Add in the stock and sugar then season with salt and thicken with corntarch mixture. Toss together the meat and the sauce and continue stir-frying until sauce thickens about 1-2 minutes.


countdown to the big 3-0: 
12 days

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis